MASSAGE THERAPY AS AN ANTI-DEPRESSANT
Once you have identified depression these 3 things happen to your Body:
- Neurotransmitter Imbalance (Neurotransmitters associated are serotonin, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine)
- Hormone Imbalance (Hormones affected: progesterone, estrogen, endorphins, and cortisol) Endorphins are considered the "feel good" #hormones and Cortisol the "stress and pain" hormone
DEPRESSION TREATMENT METHODS:
- Massage Therapy & Bodywork
MASSAGE THERAPY & BODYWORK can have a significant therapeutic value when fighting depression in 3 ways:
- TOUCH - The #humantouch improves the efficiency of Pituitary- Adrenal Axis. When the axis has a healthy function it neutralizes the chemical changes that cascade when a threat is present!l. Also, The absence of touch can be a big factor to cause depression and the ironic fact is that during depression people tend to isolate even further. It is important to consider it another way to help in anti-depressant behavior so that it is a "to do" process and not a "what if" for the patient to think over.
- Right and Left lobe brain symmetry minimizes depression susceptibility: The right frontal lobe is associated with a sad mood effect and the left frontal lobe with a happy mood effect. Post Massage Therapy, the shift in electroencephalograph caused by #massage can have a profound effect on a person's emotional state.
- Natural Hormone & Neurotransmitter Balance via Massage Therapy - The shift from sympathetic to parasympathetic state brings physiological and chemical changes such as the increase in serotonin/endorphin and the decrease in cortisol.
IMPORTANT: Any progress in the depression state via Massage Therapy SHOULD NOT lead in any autonomous decision making of the